Published on September 23rd, 2015 | by Javier Romero2
The SmartCity Concept for Dummies and The Example of Rivas-Vaciamadrid
Nowadays, we are starting to create a definition of the city who respect its inahabitants, its environment and the interaction between them. This concept is called SmartCity and It is transforming everything to get a “Smart” system where the citizens should become aware of the role they play in a new sustainable ecosystem.
The SmartCity conept includes a huge range of sectors working to get a better quality in their citizens’ life. However, It is very important not to forget the enviroment and the respectful feeling around it we should have.
Last 7th of September I had the pleasure to start an amazing bloggers trip, The Bosch Spain Experience, next to the brand Bosch and 4 fantastic colleagues: Xabier, María Jesús, Sergio and Elena. You can check in the links every interesting information they share in their blogs 😉
Our trip started in Madrid and one of the first stops we did was an amazing SmartCity model called Rivas VaciaMadrid. We arrived to the local goverment as the “A Team” and Carlos Ventura, the new technologies responsible, receive us to explain perfectly how they are working.
Rivas-Vaciamadrid is a spanish town in the Madrid Community province and It has grown from 500 inhabitants in the 1980s to the actual 80.000 inhabitants. It will be an interesting example to make an introduction in the main points a SmartCity work in:
- Smart Living: When we talk about a SmartCity It is necessary to describe a city that works in the security and healthy field. One of the most important parts in the Rivas’ security system is the surveillance camera installation that protects most of the common areas in the city. The system is connected directly to the local goverment and the police station. In this way, Bosch Security Systems works with both of them implementing their surveillance camera to record videos even in 4k. In addition, they have another options such as the possibility to control the watering and lighting systems. What’s more, It is necessary to talk about the connection by optic fiber with wifi points around the city and the importance of an active cultural life.
- Smart Economy: Enterpreneurship and innovation are two essential values to increase the productivity in a city or village. The connection between the main actors in economy from a local and global point of view could be the best option for an economic growth.
- Smart Mobility: One of the main objectives for the Horizon2020 is based on the pollution in our enviroment and the reduction necessary to be in a sustainable system. The city is one of the focal points where is necessary to work in. The clean and non-motorized solutions should be the first step and Rivas-Vaciamadrid contributes with examples such as a correct traffic management and an electrical bikes system (bicinrivas). The ICT (Information and Communications Technology) systems developement supports the public access to the information and connect the society to optimize the mobility methods.
- Smart Environment: In relation with the Smart Mobility and even more with the architecture, urban planning and engineering, It is necessary to look after the environment promoting spaces which are clean of pollution and generate a good feeling into the citizens. Green spaces and renewable energy are a good combination to provide a cleaner habitat. Rivas-Vaciamadrid started with 180 Kw of photovoltaic and thermal energy (Solar Energy) and the intention is to enlarge their production.
- Smart Goverment: Obviously the local goverment should support every activity related to do better projects day by day. The Rivas-Vaciamadrid local goverment is the first participant who promote and invest to make the SmartCity possible. The transparency and the open data will contribute to create a society more confident in this way.
- Smart People: All this work is possible if the society cooperates to integrate the best practices in every city. They will need a different education to understand what does it mean and the creativity will be the best weapon.
I’d like to say a sincerely thank you to Carlos Ventura and his team to receive us in Rivas-Vaciamadrid and show us the good work they are doing. They also got some important awards such as to be a finalist city in the Smart City Expo World Congress. We should be proud of them to be a referent as SmartCity in the world.
I’ll write more about our amazing adventures in the Bosch Spain Experience, #ExperienciaBosch to be continued 😉